Colombia Finds OAS Insignias in a Drug Vehicle

first_img AFP Colombian authorities found a vehicle that appeared to belong to the OAS mission in support of the Colombian peace process, and which was also adapted to transport drugs, the Prosecutor’s Office reported on March 2. No arrests were made during the seizure. The vehicle, with insignias of the Organization of American States (OAS) and a fake license plate exclusively used by diplomatic delegations in Colombia, was found by agents of the Prosecutor’s Office in the city of Cali. The OAS mission, established in 2004, monitors the compliance of peace agreements made with the paramilitary organization United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia (AUC). Furthermore, the OAS mission also monitors Colombia’s obligations for human rights and international humanitarian law. The AUC, which used to combat guerrillas, committed hundreds of crimes against civilians and was demobilized between 2003 and 2005 through an agreement with former President Álvaro Uribe, which granted them procedural privileges in exchange for truth and reparations to their victims. Deputy prosecutor general Jorge Perdomo, told reporters that the agency “will coordinate with international organizations to establish a control mechanism” that allows the identification of vehicles. center_img The fake OAS vehicle was discovered by chance, during an operation to seize the property of the Narváez Reina family clan, dedicated to smuggling drugs into the U.S., the report stated. Colombia, which has endured a close to fifty-year armed conflict involving guerrillas, paramilitaries, and drug traffickers, is currently going through a peace process with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia. By Dialogo April 04, 2013 Agents discovered nine hidden compartments for transporting drugs, according to a statement released by the investigating agency. “The authorities are deeply concerned because insignias from international organizations were used to commit criminal activities,” he added. last_img read more

An Illinois mayor had cops crack down on social gatherings. They found his wife at a bar

first_imgThe city’s police department immediately began to break up gatherings at Hiram’s Tavern in downtown Alton. Mayor Brant Walker’s wife was among those in attendance at the prohibited social gatherings.Walker released a statement saying he instructed the Police Chief to treat her as he would any citizen violating the ‘Stay At Home’ order.Walker also said “she now faces the same consequences for her ill-advised decision as the other individuals who chose to violate the ‘Stay At Home’ order during this incident.”“I am embarrassed by this incident and apologize to the citizens of Alton for any embarrassment this incident may cause our City,” he added.Illinois’ stay at home order prohibits all public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit.Officers issued a criminal complaint for reckless conduct to everyone who had gathered at the bar. A criminal complaint for reckless conduct is a class A misdemeanor charge punishable by up to 364 days in jail and/or a fine of $2,500. Last week a mayor in Illinois ordered the city’s police department to issue citations and arrests after residents were not following the state’s stay at home order.On Friday, mayor of Alton Illinois, Brant Walker said “These are very serious times and I’m begging you to please stay at home,”last_img read more

Women open PH campaign in 3×3 World Cup with games vs Dutch, Germans

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours View comments Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations “This lineup is the best of this era,” said coach Pat Aquino, who has coached National U to five straight UAAP titles. “Everybody is just excited. It’s the first time that we’re in the 3×3 World Cup and we want to show that we belong in this tournament.”The Filipinos open their bid against the Netherlands at 2:50 p.m., before battling Germany at 6:40 p.m.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownAfter a break on Saturday when the men’s team begins its campaign, Aquino’s squad goes up against Spain at 4:20 p.m. on Sunday, before squaring off with third seed Hungary at 7 p.m.“We know the opponents are on another level, but of course we’re hoping that we can also play at their level,” Aquino said. “We’ll try to show the Filipino brand of play. With a bit of luck and puso (heart), we can get that quarterfinal spot.” Made up of what its coach said as the best players of this era, the Philippines hopes to create a ripple as it makes its debut in the women’s division of the Fiba 3×3 World Cup on Friday at Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan.Jack Danielle Animam, Afril Bernardino, Gemma Miranda and Janine Pontejos aim to seize their moment on the world stage as they begin their campaign in Pool D of the 20-nation tournament ruled last year by Russia in Nantes, France.ADVERTISEMENT Belingon, Nguyen to tussle for ONE interim bantamweight title Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina MOST READ Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial Only the Top 2 teams from each of the four brackets will advance to the knockout stage set on Tuesday.“We have been practicing for the last three months,” Animam said. “We will be a surprise for everyone.”Meanwhile, Gilas Pilipinas team manager Butch Antonio confirmed that Christian Standhardinger will play on Saturday when the men’s team opens its bid against Brazil and Mongolia.Standhardinger is nursing an inflamed knee, but Antonio said on Thursday night that the San Miguel Beer rookie has been given the green light to play alongside Roger Pogoy, Troy Rosario and Stanley Pringle.ADVERTISEMENT Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player awardlast_img read more

FAMILY FEUD: JUDGE BANS FARMER FROM SPEAKING TO HIS BROTHER FOR NEXT 3 YEARS

first_imgGuilty: William McGeehanA FARMER involved in an ‘appalling’ attack on his own brother which left another man in hospital has been given a suspended jail sentence – and banned from speaking to his brother until November 2016.William McGeehan set upon his own brother John and John’s friend Connie Gallagher in a vicious attack, hitting both of them so hard with a plank of wood they both needed hospital treatment. Mr Gallagher received a 12cm gash to his head when a nail in the wood cut him, leaving him in hospital for four days – and with a scar for life.Garda Enda Glennon told Judge John O’Hagan at Letterkenny Circuit Criminal Court that the row was part of a family dispute over land.A civil case had settled who had owned what in Newmills, a settlement over which Judge O’Hagan had presided.But William McGeehan had continued a feud; and had been convicted earlier this year in the District Court of spitting on two young boys – his own nephews – as part of that.This week’s case was over an incident in May 2011.William McGeehan had claimed John had accused him of sheep stealing, a claim John had denied.William had followed John and Mr Gallagher, jumped over a gate and attacked them.When he was questioned he claimed Mr Gallagher had received his horrendous injuries because had slipped and fallen.William later admitted two counts of assault and pleaded guilty in court.However John told Judge O’Hagan the harassment was continuing on a daily basis.“He’s always about,”  said John McGeehan, claiming William was continuing to harass family, friends and neighbours calling to his farm.Mr Gallagher showed the judge his scar.“It’s horrendous,” said the judge.“A cracked skull because of a row over a sheep. This could have been a lot worse; what if this attack had been fatal? Where would we be then?“Mr Gallagher is lucky to be alive.”William McGeehan apologised to his brother and Mr Gallagher in court.But the judge said it was clear William McGeehan was still pestering his brother and his family and friends.He said he would not use two possible sentences available to him – jail or community service because William McGeehan would serve either sentence and he would be back harassing his own brother.So he said he was imposing a three year jail term and he would suspend it for three years.He ordered William McGeehan to sign a peace bond for the next three years in which he was told not to talk to, watch, beset or interfere with John McGeehan, his family, his friends or anyone visiting John McGeehan.FAMILY FEUD: JUDGE BANS FARMER FROM SPEAKING TO HIS BROTHER FOR NEXT 3 YEARS was last modified: November 8th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:assaultcourt casejohn mcgeehanNEWMILLSwilliam mcgeehanlast_img read more